Monday, April 29, 2013

In aprile: non ti scoprire. In maggio: adagio.

Buona sera from my first farm San Cassiano!

Well I arrived with relative ease, minus one connection. I had to change trains in a small town, only having fifteen minutes to so, and I hadn't yet purchased by ticket for that train. Thankfully, with a bit of luck, and a really nice girl who helped carry my bag so I could run (I must have looked panicked!) I was able to make it!

I was collected at the station by the owner of the farm, Rossana, and a fellow WWOOFer named Liz. From there we took a short drive back to the farm, which is located between two small towns, Piedimonte Matese and San Potito Sannitico. It's so beautiful here. The farm sits in a valley surrounded by mountains (which I'm hoping we get to go visit) and you can see for miles on a clear day.

On the farm they have a little bit of everything including: a massive synergistic vegetable garden, fruit trees (including olives), pigs (which I'm kind of scared of!), horses, and ducklings (they're the cutest). The farm also doubles as an agriturismo, essentially a B&B, and everything they grow they use in their restaurant. People are always coming and going for lunch and dinner and breakfast as well if they are staying in one of the rooms.

The farm is basically run by Rossana's two sons, Vittorio and Andrea, and Rossana owns their kitchen. She does most of the cooking; impressive considering the amount of people that come on average.

A typical day thus far goes something like this: wake up around 7:30 for breakfast (basically coffee), work until lunch which happens around two, relax for an hour or two, maybe head back out for a couple more hours of work and then we're free as birds until dinner at ten. Yes, I said TEN! I remember eating late last time, but I don't remember it being this late! Needless to say, the food is good. To good if you know what I mean.

The weather could not be better - the past three days have been in the mid eighties! The crazy thing is you still see Italians walking around in down jackets and pants. It's insanity! How are they not hot?! I approprialely learned this new phrase today: In aprile, non ti scoprire. In maggio, adagio.  Essentially it translate as, "In April, keep covered. In May, slowly take off layers." Italians. Who cares if it's April, it's hot!!

Well I'll leave you with that and a few pictures from around the farm. Love you all and hope everyone is doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment