Thursday, September 12, 2013

Adventuring: my favorite!

One of the greatest perks about living at the alpegio (Italian for alpine farm) is having the opportunity to explore the mountains practically every day. Whether you have to go find the goats or cows to bring home for the evening, have time for a trek after lunch, a day off or have to go searching for a newly born calve (that actually happened) you can always find yourself in the depths of a valley, on one of several of mountain tops, in the midsts of a 'via ferrata' ('iron road' for use of cables, metal ladders and stairs built into the mountain) or next to a glacier lake. Not bad, if you ask me, and for the most part we've all taken advantage of this!

I've gotten to know the ins and outs of the valley pretty well but each time I venture out I'm surprised by something I've never noticed, seen or a part that all of a sudden looks completely different with the changing season: a new trail, different flower, a changing route of a stream, a dried up stream... you name it.

I've definitely had some adventures that is for sure. Some of the most memorable being Punta Valleta (my first via ferrata and over 10,000 ft. summit accompanied by Maya and Elly), Punta Pouset (solo journey, perfect day), Punta Rossa (conquered with Neighbor D equipped with an unforgettable view and memories), Punta Garin (no trail, climbed by few, accompanied by Attilio, summit completely worth the harry bits), and of course Mont Emelius via la via ferrata (definitely the scariest, yet most exhilarating...Dave and Maya, don't think I could have done it without you!). 

Here are a few pictures of our adventures (Punta Rossa and Mont Emelius to be included later). Also, it should be noted that Kira, my lovely and best canine friend, was a major part of most treks that didn't include scaling mountains. She joined the crew at two months old just before departing for Arpisson! 

No comments:

Post a Comment