Monday, September 9, 2013

One of the most beautiful places on Earth: The Dolomites.

Bucket list: Dolomites. Check!

Wow, this place is amazing! My four day vaca away from the farm was well spent in the Brenta region of the Dolomites.  I was met by my friend Jason (from Portland), who was coming from Istanbul and heading to Germany looking for a little outdoor adventure. We spent three days enjoying some of the most spectacular views and landscapes, staying in mountain huts called refugios, which were equipped with luxuries like cold beer and hot food.  There's nothing better than a tall one after a long day of hiking!

We definitely took advantage of our time covering lots of ground, tracing through lots of snow at times, hopping across giant fields of boulders (some the size of houses!), zig-zaging up forested switch backs and river beds, and hugging the side of cliffs. Ah, paradise! In Italy they say there are two kinds of people: people of the sea and people of the mountains. I think I can definitely confirm that I am the latter of the two. As much as I love the sea, I always feel completely at home in the mountains!

After day four Jason and I parted ways, he to Germany, and I back to Cogne with the farm, mountains and most excitingly the move to the Alpine farm, Arpisson, awaiting me!

No comments:

Post a Comment