Thursday, June 6, 2013

The container: casa mia.

My home in Sicignano, come to find out, is referred to as 'il container' by locals. Very much appropriate once you see it. One half of the container serves as the kitchen with a stove, sink, washer and a small table. The other half has two small bedrooms and a modest bathroom between the two. It's small, but cozy, and I can't help but feel like one of the Box Car children living in it.

Last winter Mags and I were appropriately named the "Snowing Twins" because all of the snow we had brought with us, so it's no surprise that this time I have been dubbed the "Rain Sister." Mamma Mia, what a wet, rainy and cold two weeks it has been. It feels more like Portland than Italy! And of course, normally by this time of year the temperature is well into the eighties.

Due to the less than cooperative weather most of my afternoons have been spent inside with Guesippina, Domenico, Antonella, Sabrina e nonna Antonella. Domenico and I have gotten into a routine of playing Scopa (an ever so popular Italian card game) and I try to make the most of my down time by studying a little Italian each day.

When the weather has allowed I've spent most my time working in the vineyard and planting veggies. So far we've planted tomatoes, peppers, celery, zucchini and potatoes. I can best describe my work in the vineyard as "cleaning house." I start by removing the old vines, then remove some of the leaves from the new vines, along with new vines that aren't producing fruit, and finally put any outlying or dangling vines back into place. I really enjoyed working in the vineyard, especially once I figured out what I was supposed to be doing.

Oh, I've also attached a picture of the new vineyard that Maggie and I planted last January. Proud to say that she's doing well and should be producing wine ready grapes in two years! Also, in our absence of last year Sabrina got married and is now expecting a baby boy (Domenico) at the end of this month!

Every day I eat lunch with Guesippina and family, same as last time, although I don't remember the meals being this big! At least this time I actually have the words to say "No more! Stop! Seriously, I'm full and can't eat any more!" The typical response to this of course is "Mangia, mangia!" (Eat, eat!), or "Carli, prendi un altro!" (Take another!). For this I am thankful that dinner is on my own and I have full control over what and how much I eat!

Most evenings are spent in Sicignano, or less frequently, in Zuppino (the town in which I'm staying) hanging out with friends just like no time had passed. It truly feels good to be back here and I can't believe the time has already come for me to be moving on.  Although the weather has been less than desirable, my time here has once again been unforgettable. All the thanks to Guesippina and family, all my friends, and of course, Gianpaolo. Tonight I head into Sicignano to say my goodbyes once again....until next time dear friends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment